This is the official, step-by step process for opening your kiosk or cart. These items are specific to Simon Malls, but the steps and timeline be used as a general blueprint for most malls in the US. Print or bookmark this page to make sure you stay on track to open! For a more detailed look at the tips and tricks to starting a successful specialty retail business, read How to Start a Successful Kiosk!
Blue items apply to cart tenants.
Red items apply to Kiosk owners.
Gray items apply to both.
80 DAYS TO OPEN
- Contact mall to discuss leasing opportunities, concept, locations and specifications like material requirements and center criteria
- Submit preliminary kiosk design
- Meet with short-term leasing representative to discuss design and make any changes
- Contact architect to make any necessary changes and complete a final architectural drawing with materials board and color palette.
70 DAYS TO OPEN
- Submit 3 sets of architectural drawings, along with electrical, to the mall management office
60 DAYS TO OPEN
- Kiosk design approved
- Obtain county or city permits. In most cases, you won’t be able to obtain these without approved and signed lease documentation
- Obtain leasing letter from the mall management office
- Executive lease agreement
- Have proof of insurance ready to show the mall office
30-45 DAYS TO OPEN
- Application completed and lease terms agreed upon
- Contact short-term leasing rep. to discuss concept and location
- Decide which merchandising fixtures you might want to add to your supplied cart
- If you haven’t already, execute lease agreement
- Provide the mall office with proof of insurance (your Live COI)
- Contact county/state for licenses and permits (if you haven’t already), and determine what follow-up inspections are needed
- Set up an appointment with your visual merchandiser
- Provide a copy of your “customer return policy” that is posted on your cart or kiosk to the mall management office
- Purchase a cash register, register tape, light bulbs, shopping bags, price tags, a price gun, office supplies, stools, etc.
- Purchase a credit card machine and set up your account
- Hire employees (if applicable). You can post in online job boards, in the news paper, or contact Mall Marketing to put an ad on the website
- Order merchandise
- Submit refund policy wording to the mall if you haven’t already.
- Coordinate installation and delivery of your fixture with mall management.
- Purchase padlocks for your cart.
20 DAYS TO OPEN
- Your lease should be fully executed.
- Complete visual merchandising packet and appointment
- Contact telephone company
- Deliver pre-paid rent and/or security deposit (if applicable)
- Send insurance certificate
- Send occupational license
- Contract and purchase fixtures agreed upon by visual merchandiser and tenant.
10 DAYS TO OPEN
- All paperwork, lease, insurance, business licenses, etc. should be turned into the office
- Employees should be hired and trained
- Coordinate move-in details with security, mall management, your shipping vendor, and the installation vendor
- Check permits and schedule post-installation inspections
- reserve electrician to complete installation (if necessary)
5 DAYS TO OPEN
- Confirm move-in date and time with the mall management office
- Pay rent
- Sign contract with security for office during move-in
- Ensure fixtures will be completed for move-in
- Merchandise cart/kiosk
- Include Tarp instructions for employees
- Install sign
- Host a cleaning party!
- Short term leasing representative, visual merchandiser (when available) and you will do the final “fluff” prior to opening
- You did it!
Need insurance for your kiosk, inline or cart? We have pre-built policies made specially for specialty retailers! Get your certificate of insurance in a few clicks